Sunday, January 4, 2009

Bruce Willis Caricature - Jon Moss

Happy New Year to all. This is my first time at posting on the blog so go easy on me! I'm currently enrolled on Jason's course and into the final assignment. Hello to all who've gone before me. I am sure that like myself you've been nothing less than impressed by the quality of instruction and feedback. This course has been without doubt the best money I've spent on anything art related even in these days of the weak pound (£).
I have decided to make Brucie here my first submission to the blog. I painted this initially as a finished black and white value painting. The technique I used to colourize (colorize, for the americans) was to paint a new layer in the colorize mode using a split complimentary palette and then quickly revert to normal mode on a new layer and paint in a more direct method.
After some last minute structural changes (horizontal flip, thank you) I was happy Bruce no longer had a head similar to that of a squashed potato and was pleased with the final results.

11 comments:

Houston Hsieh said...

Jon, this is awesome!!!
I digg your Bruce Willis so much!!!
Keep posting some great works!!
And same here that I've learned so much from this course... :)

And to all my classmates on Jason's class and Jason, of course. Wish you all Happy New Year !!!!

Jon Moss said...

Houston, thanks for your very generous comments. Your work is very eye catching and you have a very distinctive style. I'm always quick to check out your critiques. Looking forward to see what you produce for your final.

Houston Hsieh said...

Wow, I'm really flattered :)
Actually I'm pretty pretty slow in both drawing and painting... sigh...
To be honest, after attending this class, I found out that my style (If I do have
one) is not a very common caricature style, but most like exaggerated
portraits... :P
Don't really know if this is good or not... any advice or comment, even
critiques? all welcomed :)
And I'm trying to produce a group caricature for my final...
The topic is about the Yankees... "The Empire Strikes Back" kinda like that idea.. (Sorry, I'm a big fan of Major League Baseball)
Basically I have to sketch four people... GM Brian Cashman, CC Sabathia, AJ Burnett, Mark Teixeira.... very very time consuming....
And I'm also very excited to see everyone's final !!

SEILER said...

Looks really nice Jon, seriously kicked butt on this. Glad you posted it!

Patrick LaMontagne said...

Very cool. Love the lighting and detail. Likeness is unmistakable.

Richard Watts said...

Superb lighting. This is the best Bruce Willis caricature I have ever seen.

Tim Bye said...

Yep this is really awesome! Great work!!! :o)

Jon Moss said...

Thanks Jason, Richard, Patrick and Tim for your positive comments, its great motivation to push myself further.

ramanjit said...

ohhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
this is great!!!!!!!!!

Admin said...

Great work Jon, I can't wait to see your final assignment!

Admin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.