Monday, March 15, 2010

Featuring the work of Schoolism student Yasin Sycra!



As many of you know, I am one of the instructors at www.schoolism.com I've got another class starting soon, so I wanted to make sure to let everyone know, and to remind you of what to expect from my class. From time to time I would like to feature a few students here on my blog, to show you what kind of work is done during the course but also to feature the artists themselves as I am very proud of their hard work. It is so exciting to watch a student grow and become better in a span of 9 lessons.
This week I would like to feature Yasin Sycra!

All of the work on this post was drawn and painted by Yasin. These are only two of the assignments, lessons 4 and 6.

My next course at www.schoolism.com will start on the 16th of April. I will be taking on students for an 11 week online course. What can you expect to learn from taking my course at www.schoolism.com?
The way Schoolism works is students will watch a lesson which is usually two hours long. You can pause, go back, take notes, sketch and so on. After watching the lesson of the week, the student is then given ten to 14 days to complete the assignment. This deadline changes from week to week depending on what is expected that week for homework. Once the assignment is finished, the student uploads their home work to the Schoolism site, leaving questions and comments for me to go over with them. I then download their work and record a 25 to 30 minute critique on their work and then upload that critique to their file at www.schoolism.com I work one on one with each student, and as I said above, every student is at a different place artistically, so each critique I do is very different. And one of the cool things about this is that the students at Schoolism have access to the rest of their classes critiques as well as past critiques from previous semesters. So there are literally hours and hours of demos and critiques to soak up while taking the course.

My critiques are honest and to the point. I look for each students strengths and then push them further in that direction, helping to develop their style. We work together to improve on areas that need work, and as long as the student puts in the time and effort, they always come out on top!

Caricature is not only about how much you can exaggerate a person, there's so much more to it than that. My course covers everything from sketching, and the importance of thumbnails . . . developing character, likeness as well as the essence of a person. How to exaggerate and push the features while keeping a strong likeness. Exploring shape and form as well as the unique relationships between the features on the face, finding the weight and so on. The course also covers painting in values as well as color temperature, and palettes. I go over skulls and understanding the anatomy of the face as well as teaching my techniques for painting hair.
Finally, the last three lessons of the course are dedicated to creating a final piece of art that the student can use in their portfolio. These lessons cover techniques that I use for my editorial and illustration work. Putting all the previous lessons together to create one final painting.

Any questions please email me or the staff at Schoolism My next course starts on the 16th of April and seats are filling up fast!

Now, enough talking . . . please enjoy these great sketches and paintings by Yasin Sycra!






















2 comments:

Lyle Doucette said...

Wow! Great stuff! Yasin is a great talent.

Jack Morgerstern said...
This comment has been removed by the author.